Tuesday 22 October 2019

Geometric Birthday

Next month is my eldest sons birthday and he's, gulp... 23.  So cards have to be more edgy than cute and as he works in the computer/gaming industry I thought I'd use a stencil from Uniko called Mid Century Modern.

It reminds me of computer games and circuitry.  Its also a bit retro which is what I believe I am these days and he's definitely modern... so win, win.




The big bold sentiment is from Mama Elephant, die cut from a Yupo paper after a mess around with inks.  It is also cut again from black cardstock to create the drop shadow.

For the background I used Brilliance platinum pearl after die cutting the sentiment again from copier paper and adhering to the stencil with washi tape.  My first attempt I threw away as the pattern under the die cut was fighting with the sentiment so I created the mask before inking so it was more legible




What I love about using the pearl Brilliance is depending on the angle you view the card the background disappears and reappears on movement.  I've tried to include the photo above to show how the pearl plays tricks with you or move your laptop screen 😉

Challenge Links...

AAA Birthday - Colour Palette
The Paper Players - Clean and Simple
CAS on Friday - Big Sentiment or Word
Happy Little Stampers - Anything Goes with Dies

  


For your blog



8 comments:

  1. I am sure your son will love this card..as do I. It gets harder as they get older to come up with the ideas! but i reckon you have covered the bases with this one Claire....great design! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have come up trumps with this card, the background is wonderful and I love the autumnal shades of the die cut sentiment. Perfect for your Son xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great guy card with that background and by colouring the sentiment in different ways it would be easy to create a more feminine look too. I'm sure your son will love it! Thanks for joining with our CAS loud sentiment challenge over at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving this masculine card made for your son! Modern technology is all over this one and I love the pearly background with that great colorful sentiment too! He's going to love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great background and a fabulous diecut! The multicolored paper you used for the sentiment really packs a punch! Thanks for playing with my challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claire, this is so fabulous! I love the modern design and I know your son will cherish it! So happy you joined us at The Paper Players this week! XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how the colours look on that huge birthday greeting. Fantastic card! Thanks for playing at AAA Birthday, hope to see you come back and join in with future challenges too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That stencil is on my wishlist too :)
    I love the masculine look you created by combining that background with the sentiment. Thanks for joining our AAA Birthday challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Any comments left are always read with a happy smile and I will return the kindness by visiting your blog, take care x