Tuesday 19 February 2019

Smile It's Your Birthday

Scorch has come out to play again and I had a lot of fun sticky wickets making this card.


I was inspired by the retro theme at Time Out and being an avid photographer I thought it would be fun to use some very old negative sticker strip I once bought for a scrapbook layout.

Finding the stamps that would fit into the frames proved a little tricky but in the end I settled on MFT Magical Dragons, not a perfect fit but with a little jiggery pokery I could make them work.

The time consuming part of this card was actually getting the placement right, I tore off a strip and stuck it to copier paper and used that as my guide by holding the paper and the card to the window while marking with little pencil dots where I had to draw the windows of the negative onto my cardstock.  Now I did this process three times, not because I was making three cards or because I generally love making my life more complicated... oh no it was much more simple than that.  The first one I didn't like the position of Scorch, the second one I liked Scorch but I put two big paw prints of ink on my card and the third one I actually got right.  I'm sure my antics that morning had the neighbours a little perplexed, maybe next time the back window might be more inconspicuous!

Anyway, to stamp Scorch in the windows I used post-it notes and coloured him using Prismacolor pencils, and added a light background around him.  


Next came the part I was dreading, I had to get the negative sticker strip down in one go and in the right position... this part required chocolate before I began.

Thankfully I managed to get it down in the right place, the only thing left to do was die cut the sentiment from a scrap of white card and use Distress Inks in Hickory Smoke and Festive Berries for an ombre look that matched Scorch.

The rest of the sentiment came from a Uniko set and at the moment this one is staying with me, can't quite bring myself to part with it just yet :)

Challenge Links...

Time Out - Retro (negative photograph strip)
Creative Friday - Only 3 Colours
Seize the Birthday - Anything Goes
Pixies Snippets - 'Smile' was cut from a small scrap of cardstock






11 comments:

  1. Thank heaven for chocolate is all I can say! LOL This turned out to be incredibly cute with Scorch in those filmstrip windows! It turned out perfect and for all the effort put into it, I'd not part with it for a while either! Super cute card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just so adorable and I love it and will pinn it for future use. Great way to get more use of of your stamps. Thanks for sharing with us at Seize the Birthday.
    Barbara DT member

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully CAS Claire. I love your monochromatic theme with just a touch of colour, it works perfectly x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!!! Love the retro film frames and your cute little critter peeking out. Thanks so much for playing along at Time Out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may have been time consuming Claire but well worth it!! Such a brilliant design and Scorch is adorable xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how adorable! I love those sweet little dragons in the film strip! So happy you linked up to the Time Out Retro challenge where I'm guest designing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great card Claire - darling little dragons in the film strip and so clever. I hooted with laughter here at your antics aligning the card - thanks for brightening the day for me. So funny!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun card Claire and I certainly did smile when I read how you made it! Love thet you craft with chocolate too lol!! The sticker positioning is perfect, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is retro (and bringing so many memories in working with them) Love how you played with that little dragon; it makes it a playfull card that made me smile! Thanks for that and thank you for joining us at TIME OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great card! I love it!Thanks for joining us at creative friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this card, the placement is perfect and it is too cute. The colours are spot on.

    x Stefanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Any comments left are always read with a happy smile and I will return the kindness by visiting your blog, take care x