Monday 25 September 2017

Gran

Last week was my moms birthday and I made this card for her from my boys.  As you'll see from the photo, my initial design was to cut the cat die out in black as a silhouette but earlier this year my parents had to have their beloved long haired ginger cat - called Lily-Mae put to sleep after 16 years so the cat has ended up being ginger in memory of Lily :)


The card happened by accident really, I was getting out my crafting stash and knocked over a big wooden tray, full of nik-naks I've thrown in there over the years and out fell some chipboard letters - light bulb moment.  I rummaged about to see if I could make the word 'Gran' from what was left and yay I could.

I covered the chipboard letters, filed the edges and inked with a little gold - then and only then I realised they didn't fit on the card so I messed about with layouts and this one worked best.  I then used an EF for the background, rubbed over some pale ink and mounted the frame on top but it looked boring so I added some dots in gold pen.


The little cat was die cut from linen cardstock and coloured using Inktense in orange, yellow and white then brushed with water to give her a ginger look with a few gems for the collar - afterall Lily-Mae was quite the prissy little madame in her day.  I also popped some gems on two of the letters and my card now takes pride of place at my parents :)

Challenges:-

Always Fun Challenges - Anything Goes #25
Crafts Galore Encore Challenges - Always Anything Goes

Supplies: Chipboard letters, Trimcraft patterned papers, Cuttlebug Birds & Swirls EF, Magnolia die cut cat, Inktense pencils, gold pen, Brilliance inks, Hobby Craft gems

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous card, Claire. I love the design with the arrangement of the letters. What a lovely touch to include a ginger cat.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you found these items and made them work perfectly together to make a great card for your Mom! I'm sure she loved her card with the reference of Ginger. Thanks too for the kind birthday wishes, much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claire, a lovely card for your Mum, love the little kitty in the ginger colours and that she seems to have spotted a little bird in the embossing... have a wonderful week... Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea and the cat is very cute. I do like the background, it's very elegant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Any comments left are always read with a happy smile and I will return the kindness by visiting your blog, take care x